The most popular global non-profit organization Save the Children offer a job circular to appoint some Deputy Manager at their Dhaka Office.
This is a regular contractual post of save the children Bangladesh.
Post Name: Deputy Manager – Forecast Based Action
CONTRACT LENGTH: Regular
Academic Qualification: Master’s Degree, preferably in Social Sciences/Population Science/Environmental Science or related discipline
Application deadline: 5 May 2021
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Working Experience: At least 5 years experience, preferably in disaster emergency response, recovery, and disaster risk reduction projects integrating with climate change aspects. Working experience in Forecast Based Financing or Early Action would be added value.
Job related knowledge: Knowledge of industry ‘best practices’ in emergency response, disaster risk reduction and resilience projects
- Excellent written communications skills, including report writing, newsletters, articles in newspapers
- Financial/budget management skills
- Strong management/supervisory skills
- Proven facilitation and training skills
- Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, email, internet
- Motivated, committed, responsible, able to work independently with limited direct supervision.
• Problem solving and decision making,
• Applying technical and professional expertise,
• Working effectively with others,
• Communicating with impact,
To work in team
To protect children in connection
To be non-discriminatory and gender sensitive
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs;
or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Deputy Manager- Forecast-based Action (DM-FDA), will be responsible for activities in preparation, implementation, learning component pilot, and activities after Scaling-up Anticipatory Action to reduce the impacts of flood in Siragjonj District, Northern Bangladesh pilot, and all other AA related matters leading up to the 2022 Monsoon season).
He/she will provide technical leadership, strategic management, and operational oversight for the overall implementation of FDA project for flood and cyclone and will serve as the strategic liaison with Government line departments, project partners, FbA platform in-country, START Network, BDRCS, WFP-lead OCHA Cerf AA response Consortium, and relevant project stakeholders.
Under the technical responsibilities, the position will be accountable to enhance SC BD capacity to demonstrate FDA approach, interpret forecast mechanisms for flood, risk analysis, setting triggering and early action in line with the existing early warning system and in preparation for the 2022 monsoon season.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Humanitarian Manager
Staff reporting to this post:
Direct: 2 positions PO for HCCU funding and PO for Hum Fund project
Indirect: Budget Responsibilities:
Role Dimensions: This position is based in Dhaka with extensive field visits is required
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Role Clarification considering different phase of contract period (but not limited):
April to May 2021 (pre monsoon season):
The position will review the PP, secondary FbF/A materials and will develop tools, guidelines and taking necessary action to develop the capacity of partners & SC staffs on different FbF/A issues i.e broad understanding of FDA approach, the current scenario in Bangladesh context, triggering & threshold mechanism, etc. also will do the technical follow-up to field to accomplish the activities as planned during the preparatory stage. Also will monitor the flood risk from a website or different sources.
May to September 2021 (during monsoon season):
The person will follow up on national forecast news and closely monitor the gradually increased flood situation. The person will supervise the execution of FbA activities within the lead period, facilitate the Cash (MPCG) transferring by using SC MMT (Mobile Money Transfer) process. Maintain the coordination with other national-level stakeholders for triggering EAs etc.
will also give support to developing any FbA proposal if funding opportunities are opened.
May to September 2021 (during monsoon season-capture learnings):
The person will capture and document the day-to-day learnings from the implementation of FDA at the field level. A prolonged field visit is essential during this period depending on the COVID situation.
September to November 2021 (during Post monsoon season): Develop the publications, case studies or do any research actions in consultation of the MEAL unit to see the effectiveness of FDA
the approach in the overall DRM system. The person will also be engaged to develop any proposal based on available funding.
Rest of contract period:
The person will be seeking the potential opportunities for FbA funding, support to develop proposal, build other partner’s capacity on FbA, maintain networking with the FbF platform, provide technical inputs in SC FBA tools and documents (based on previous learnings).
Key Area 1: Program Implementation and monitoring
- Manage and supervise the field-based project activities and provide technical guidance to Partners and SC field staff according to the plan.
- Prepare field-level agreements and monitoring of activities conducted by cooperating partners to enable quality assurance and timely implementation of activities.
- Develop MEAL system in coordination with MEAL Manager to collect and track data on implementation progress and outputs achieved.
- Assess and monitor data input/analysis and forecasting mechanisms from our data sources (FFWC, BMD and elsewhere)
- Provide strategic guidance and support to SC BD and the partner’s field staff to ensure that the project is implemented effectively with high impact according to the FbA approach as mentioned in PP and Save the Children’s quality standards of response.
- Lead, organize, and develop strategic directions for the SC BD FbA program to ensure synchronized program implementation at the field level by a partner in a respectful manner.
- Continuous monitoring/track forecast news and analysis data from FFWC, BMD, or another source to identify authentic forecast or impact-based forecast.
- Monitor progress through field visits, review of FbA indicators, and meetings with staff, communities, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Sr. Project Officer MEAL SC BD Humanitarian Sector to track progress and overcome challenges.
- Review the implementation plan and ensure the timely programme implementation at field level.
- Develop operational tools and guidelines for FbA project implementation.
- Support to implementing partner to finalize flood & cyclone risk assessment, rapid response protocol, develop an appropriate system for measuring the impact of the implementation of SOPs, thereby contribute to building evidence for the FDA mechanism, and coordinate relevant research work.
- Organize national-level dialogue platforms that serve to exchange lessons learned with other FbA pilots in different districts and promote FbA with interested stakeholders active in the Early Warning Early Action field.
- Develop the project proposal on FbA when the funding opportunity will come from in the country or outside.
Key Area 2: Coordination/Representation
- Participate in regional internal/external representation, advocacy, partnership building, resource mobilization, and coordination. Lead the work on assessing the impact and value for money of all Anticipatory Actions in Bangladesh.
- Coordinate and liaise with the Government ministries, START Network, BDRCS/GRC, WFP, and FbF working group/ members in the overall program plans, operation and to enable a cross-organizational culture of effective learning and sharing.
- Maintain a solid, up-to-date understanding with all the concerned local and national level stakeholders for early response based on the accurate forecast.
- Build and maintain relations with strategic partners including government, civil society organizations, local and international organizations.
- Ensure GO-NGOs participation in project implementation and capacity development.
- Ensure representation of Govt. personnel during project implementation.
- Become SC BD Focal Point for all matters related to Anticipatory Action from fundraising to relationship building